Sunday, February 4, 2007

Wake Up!

--I'd like to remind the readers that you have the ability to leave comments on my entries. This ability will remain open to all people unless I begin receiving comments that will make me decide otherwise.--

Today's main event was studying for the Japanese test that would be held on the next day. After waking up, I spent the next hour doing just that. Having absorbed all that I could, I decided to make lunch. After eating, I reviewed my study material. After again absorbing what I could, I entertained myself through various means until Albert called me about going to a department store.

After a semi-lengthy walk, we arrived at KS Electronics where the first task was to find that alarm clock I have been wanting. My ideal alarm clock would be an affordable and noisy clock. I found one such clock, but as we discovered, they were out of stock. Not wanting to wait a week for more to come in, I settled for an even less expensive medium-loud clock. Next, Albert went to look for a new camera. After inspecting the cameras on display, he finally selected a camera that was about ¥74,600. The next trick was figuring out if the battery charger had the correct voltage compatibility for Holland. The employee we asked sought out another employee who could speak some English. From there, we had to explain that we wanted to check the compatibility by looking at the charger. After switching between English and Japanese in order to explain our request, the employee brought us the camera in its box and proceded to open it so that we could look at the charger. After confirming that it would work, Albert took a few minutes to make a final decision on whether to buy the camera. Having decided in the affirmative, he began looking for a case and a memory card for the camera. Next, we had to ask if the case was compatible with the camera. The employee brought out an accessory kit for the camera that included a case which he suggested he get instead. To my amazement, he said that they would give him the kit if he bought the camera. Talk about employee empowerment!

The final challenge was getting Albert's credit card to work. By this time, we had three employees facilitating the purchase along with the cashier. Two of the employees took the card to the other side of the counter to begin working on getting it to work. The third employee stayed and talked with us. During a discussion about sports, Albert explained how he did not participate in sports because he wasn't in shape. By that time, the other employees returned having successfully completed the transaction.

We went back downstairs to look for a plug adapter for the camera. Before we got too far, two of the employees helping us came down and called Albert over. Instead of the expected news that something was wrong, they led us over to some machines and asked Albert to get on one. They explained in a joking manner that it would help him exercise. Strange as it was, their personability was intriguing to a person, such as myself, who came from a country where employees silently celebrate the disembarkation of a customer. After the short and entertaining time with the employees, we bought the plug and left the store.

Next, we went to eat. The restaurant that we chose had a semi-foreign feel to it. A major difference from America still stuck out. The way their waiting system works allows customers to take their time without having someone rush them with drink questions. Instead, once you are ready to order, you simply press a button to ring in a waiter.

The menu had a mix between America-like dishes and Japanese dishes. I opted to order a small pizza to see how it tasted in Japan. I also ordered a melon drink. As it turns out, the melon drink happened to be an alcoholic cocktail. Being 'of age' in this country, I decided to try it out. As I discovered, the smooth melon taste was overthrown three-fold by the alcoholic taste. Despite the taste, I was determined to finish the whole thing with the meal. As expected, the one beverage did not affect me much - other than the taste.

Drinks were not the only new thing I tried at the restaurant. The pizza itself was of acceptable quality. It also came with a bottle of tabasco sauce. Since I was trying alcohol for the first time, I thought I might as well try the tabasco sauce too. As usual, I did not like the spiciness from the sauce, but it did add something to the pizza that made me use it on each slice. After having all of that, the price still came out less than an American dinner at ¥798. (Remember, move the decimal over two places and take off a few cents/dollars.)

The rest of the night consisted of studying and various methods of entertainment in the dorm. I will get to see my speaking partner again tomorrow =D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nee~~ Is your friend's name Albert or Arnold? Twice you called him Arnold. o-o Meow *-*

Mikums tried alcohol!? *omg* That's CWAZY!
But hurray for being open to new things =D Try mushrooms XD I tried them at a Japanese restaurant last time I went, n it wasn't too bad. Next thing you know, you'll be trying sushi :'D -hugsnloves- Wuvvums '0'b

Michael Kuralt said...

I don't know why I can't remember his name! No matter what I do, I always get it wrong eventually! x_x

Unknown said...

sounds like a very interesting day. You drinking alcohol? suprising but I'm glad it didn't have much of an effect on you. :-)