Thursday, February 1, 2007

Niku no Hi

I awoke today to the sounds of hustle and bustle that I am accustomed to hearing. Sure enough, I had regained consciousness before the clock struck 9:00 as I have been doing since I got here with the exception of yesterday. I wanted to test my newly configured alarm before getting up, so I stayed in bed until it went off. I don't know if it will work if I am actually sleeping, but there is a much better chance than before.

Japanese class was much the same as we quickly reviewed the material that we were expected to already know. For the most part, I am in tune with the older material. At lunch, I ate with some of Mitch's friends before shipping off to my next class. As could be expected, my culture class maintained it's boringness via the teacher's dull intonation.

In my Human Resources class, we were given yet another group activity. This time, we were to describe what culture means to the class, but we could do so only with a drawing. After the class shifted into its default groups, I was left with two Japanese students, which I did not mind. None of us really had any good ideas of what to draw, nor did we have any idea of how to draw. I decided to volunteer to present the elementary school level drawing to the class to save my Japanese collegues from having to piece together their sentences in English. After the somewhat painful explanation of the drawing, we waited until class concluded. During the next class on Monday, we are to choose a group and a topic to present to the class. Knowing that I would be best to secure a group immediately, I asked one of my Japanese partners, Yusuke, if he would like to join me in a group. He seemed to be very thankful for the invitation and accepted happily. We also recruited a classmate from Holland, Albert, to join the group. The other Japanese student, Nozomi, left the classroom before we could invite her to join.

After class, I hung out with Yusuke for awhile. We talked a little about the class and what kind of project we would have to do. I accompanied him while he went through the necessary steps to purchase his textbook packet. After that, he had to return home. Before he left, we exchanged phone numbers in case we needed to get in contact.

Back at the dorms, it was laundry day again. I need to do the laundry every three days in order to prevent dirty clothing build-ups, but sometimes I have to postpone laundry day which makes me have to do it more frequently. Today's laundry was on schedule, so I would not have to do it for another three days.

For dinner, I joined my roommates Will and Daan to go to an all-you-can-eat restaurant. At the restaurant, we got to cook our own food. The way it worked is that we could order anything we want, but we have to eat everything. I started getting worried as they kept ordering more, but we were able to finish everything. I had been wanting to eat meat for a few days now and this outing definitely served me more than enough.

After I returned to the dorm, the caretaker informed me that there might be snow tomorrow. Being a southern-grown kid, snow is always big news to me. It remains to be seen whether there will actually be snow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Send me a snowball? ♥