Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Playing Catch Up

On Saturday, I spent a fair amount of time talking to my sister, Julie, over the internet. We discussed current events and I was introduced to her blog. After solving the problems of the world, I made her go to bed since it was after 2 am back at home.

On Sunday, I officially joined a site to meet friends in Japan. I had been on the site for about a week or two now, but you aren't able to contact anyone unless you pay for membership. After deciding that it would probably be worth it, I became a 'VIP' member. In order to make my purchase worthwhile, I began emailing some people in hopes to make new friends. Of course, emails take time, so I did not get too much response on the first day.

On Monday, I began to get some responses to my emails as I continued to send more to other people. I had dinner with Albert for the first time in awhile as well.

Tuesday brought forth many more interesting events than the other days. At lunch, I met up with Nabil and his speaking partner, Haruka. I also met three other Japanese guys. After lunch, Nabil insisted that we go play soccer. Not having a legitimate excuse (to myself) to back out from the festivities, I joined them. Before we started playing, one of the Japanese students, Kenji, started talking to me. He wanted to get to know me as a foreigner and show me around Japan some. After exchanging number, we began playing.

As I expected, I was not very good at handling the ball. After we kicked the ball around for a while, we played a mini soccer game in which there was one goalie and two people on each team. After playing for awhile, I eventually became more than useless since I started being able to take the ball from the other team. At one point, I actually got a goal. After that, we played PK, where someone kicked at the goal uninhibited and the goalie had to stop the ball. Lastly, we played soccerball, which was like basketball with a soccer ball that you kick into the goal. Of course, no one scored in this particular game. I took my leave of them before they joined in another group of people to play a bigger game. I was already exhausted since I never play any sports games.

I went to the school convenience store to get a drink and took it to the CIE lounge to drink it. While I was sitting there, a woman from the CIE office came up to me and called me by name. I know that I had never introduced myself to her, so I assumed that something important had happened. She explained that I would be getting a new roommate, which did not surprise me since I had paid for a double room. What did surprise me was that he would be moving in by 6:00 tonight. Having two and a half hours before his arrival, I decided to go home and prepare.

While I was waiting for my new roommate, Nabil came over and wanted to go eat. I explained that I was waiting for the newcomer, and so he agreed to wait until 6:30. With still no roommate in sight, we headed out to dinner. By the time we returned, Todd had arrived. Aaron had already began his childish antics, so it was difficult to gauge how Todd would act. Once Aaron was out of the picture, Todd displayed his normal personality that seemed much more bearable. As the night progressed and it became bed time, Todd ended up going to bed before I did, so I knew that I did not have anything to worry about for tonight. I think that, considering the fact I probably would have ended up with a new roommate anyway, Todd was a lucky catch; although it is way too soon to get the final word on that.

In other news, Dr. McCrillis from CSU emailed me to say that he would be on his way to Kansai Gaidai next Tuesday and he would like to meet up with me to chat for awhile. I think it will be nice to see someone from home.

No comments: