Saturday, January 27, 2007

Saturday - A Day of Rest

----As a second reminder, the older posts are on the bottom----

As most people find on Saturdays, school did not have much call for me. I stayed at the dorm until after lunch, at which point, I went to the CIE to get my class schedule. Since the schedule was hard to read, I used the computer lab to reformat the list for easier reading. After I made my schedule, I found that my speaking partner had finally emailed me. Apparently, she had emailed me sometime last week, but I apparently did not receive it. I figured that email was a shaky way to communicate, so I wanted to give her my phone number. The problem with that was that the number on my phone was slightly different from the number in my phone details! I did not want to give her a wrong number, so I started to look for someone who could test the number for me. As if by an amazing stretch of luck, I found none other than the Japanese student who I helped with English a few days before! I explained my problem to him and we used his phone to discover my real number. Apparently, the number provided by the phone rental company was wrong. After we got the phone problem settled, I talked with the Japanese student for awhile. After adding him to my phone, I was finally able to retain his name - Koichiro (co-itchy-row). We talked until he had to go home, after which I sent my number to my speaking partner.

Before I left, I asked the student at the computer helpdesk why I did not have internet yet. As it turns out, someone did not take my information form to the media center in order to complete the registration yesterday. He assured me that it would be taken today and that I should have internet by this evening. Happy that I had an explanation, I went back to the dorms.

The next portion of my day was dedicated to doing my laundry. The machines cost ¥200 to wash and ¥100 to dry. As expected, the dryers take more than one go in order to work. After I placed my clothes in the washing machine, I came back to my room to find more change, when I discovered that I had internet at last! From there, I continued my laundry as I caught up with my blog. I discovered that the best way to do the laundry is to do three days worth of clothing per wash. I would separate the load into two groups: One with all the shirts, a pair of pants, and any undergarments, and one with two pairs of pants and all the socks. From there, two drying cycles would finish the laundry process. The net cost of the work is ¥600, which is roughly $5.

By the time the laundry was done, it was getting dark. At this point in my trip, I do not like venturing out in the dark unless I know where I want to go, so I stayed inside. After making dinner and hanging out with some of my roommates, the night came to a close.

No comments: