Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Journey

January 26 - Part 2

Hello again! This being the first blog that I am typing with a working internet connection, I would like to remind all of the readers that the older posts are located toward the bottom of the page. If you start reading the blog from the top, it probably will not make sense since you won't have the background from the first posts.

Today I had very little that I had to do. After waking up, I prepared to walk to the school so I could pick up my laptop. I had to leave it at the school so that they could register it for internet use and update the security features on it. After retrieving the laptop, I took it back to the dorm so I would not have to carry it around all day again. For lunch, I went back to campus and ordered more udon noodles with an addition of tempura (fried food) and rice. Having eaten, I went to the CIE office to turn in some information that they requested.

Some of the students had signed up to take a tour to Kyoto today. I was not among that group since I did not know if today would be as busy as the previous days. Since I was not busy, I asked if I could still sign up. I was informed that signing up would not be necessary and that I can just wait outside the CIE with the rest of the students who were going. Outside, we were asked to form groups of six. I joined a group with one of my friends. We were then met by a Japanese tour guide named Takaki who took our group to Kyoto.

The beginning of the journey required us to walk to the train station. Once we got there, I got to see how strange, yet efficient the Japanese train system was. Instead of a person in a ticket booth, there were little machines that we selected the amount for the fare and inserted required money in order to get a ticket. From there, the ticket was inserted into another machine at the entrance of the station and picked up on the other side of the machine. Once we reached the trains, we boarded one and didn't have to show anyone the ticket. Once the train reached a certain station, we got off and boarded another train. It was at this point that I knew that I would be eternally lost without Takaki guiding us. On this train, I sat with Takaki and discussed various cultural issues with him during the ride. After we reached a certain station, we again switched trains. Onced this last train stopped, we got off at our destination.

In Kyushu, we headed to a temple in order to sight-see. The experience is easier to explain with the pictures that are soon to be made available to you as a reader. Once we climbed up several hills and steps, it was getting very dark out. We had to go back to the station since it would be difficult to keep climbing in the dark. We took one train over to a station and then looked for someplace to eat.

We decided to eat at a small Japanese restaurant that specialized in pork dishes. The restaurant had traditional Japanese tables and sitting cushions as well as counter-space to eat your food. The menu was completely handwritten in Japanese with only the names of the dishes and no descriptions. Obviously, without Takaki there, I would not have been able to order without pointing at something and hoping it was something I would like. Once the food arrived, I was faced with a somewhat strange looking dish. I was never able to remember the name of it though. Despite its odd appearance, I enjoyed eating it. After we finished and paid, we finished the train rides back home. Takaki left us at the bus stop to the school with an apology for the trip being so short. Of course, it was not his fault that the CIE chose to make the trip at 2PM, but the Japanese way is to apologise for things when they don't go according to hopes.

After the bus ride, I went to the store with some friends. I ran across an intriguing cake-like thing at the store that was very good. Back at the dorms, several of my roommates were planning to go out at 10:30PM for a night at the town. Turning down their offer to join them, I ended my night at a reasonable time. They ended theirs at 8AM the next morning.

No comments: