Saturday, April 7, 2007

Random Acts of Practice

Friday started off like any other Friday; go to Japanese class and do my language lab assignment. After lunch, I decided to put a theory I had to the test. The last few days, I just sat in the lounge doing nothing in particular when all of the sudden, something cool happened. And so, after working on my Japanese review sheet, I began listening to music and playing my DS while greeting people as they passed. At one point, I looked up and there were two Japanese girls standing there hoping to get my attention.

After noticing them, they asked if I could help them practice English if I wasn't busy. Of course, I was glad to talk with them instead of play games, and I cooly shut my DS to show that I would talk with them. They were freshmen who would be starting school next week. They asked me various questions in English and had to return to Japanese from time to time, but I was easily able to understand what they said. At one point, they asked if I had a girlfriend. They were surprised that I did not since they both thought I was handsome! - If the beginning of the Japanese school year will bring random girls who think I am handsome to me, let's get it started already! - Their English was actually quite good with the exception of their heavy Japanese accentation of syllables that don't need the extra sound. (You can see my house-u from-u the gate-o) After we talked for awhile, they had to go and I returned to my game in waiting for class.

After class, as soon as I got home, Nabil and Einar hoisted me away to Hirakata station. We were looking for someplace to eat when Nabil suggested that we go to an Indian restaurant that he had eaten at before. Neither I nor Einar knew what we wanted to get, so Nabil decided we should go with the meal set. The set cost about $30 per person, which I expressed that I was not thrilled to pay, so Nabil said he would pay $60 worth (because he likes spending money or something).

We started with some salad which was very good. Next came some potato-like things wrapped in a triangle (yes, I forgot the name). I wasn't too into the potato things because they were spicy and whatever gave them the spice had an odd taste. I eventually finished the whole thing though. Next came some chicken. I assumed that the red color they had indicated that they too were spicy, and indeed they were (note that Michael spicy is much more mild than most would call spicy). After that, the spice went away with the bread called nan (I remember that one!) and curry. I enjoyed the bread and curry greatly. Lastly, we were given some mango icecream to finish off the meal. I had some sort of yogurt drink with the meal that proved quite effective against the spice. It was a nice experience, but I would go there only so often since the price is so high.

After dinner, we all went to Ring to do more karaoke. I did several songs that Nabil felt obligated to clap after I finished. I also did some Japanese songs from Kana and Ayumi that I was able to keep up with fairly well. After we sang for three hours, we did some table tennis before walking back home.

At home, I had to enlist the help of my sister, Julianne/Julie/Jukums, to see if I could register for my classes back at CSU. As I feared, neither my advisor, nor the administrative staff in the business department removed my advising hold despite my having asked them to several days/weeks ago. I am now left worrying about how on earth I will register for my classes since no one from CSU seems to care about me now that I am abroad. Hopefully, it will all work out.

As a last note, I need to think of a topic to speak about concerning American culture. I am really clueless about what would be interesting for Japanese students to hear about, but I really would like to present something. Please please please send me ideas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:O I have three names.

You should maybe talk about like... the cultural differences. o.o

I hope your class things work out!